Thursday, June 21, 2012

Wicked Review

Mike and I received tickets to see "Wicked" as one of our wedding gifts (great idea, isn't it?!). We went last Saturday night and had a great dinner at Cafeteria 15L and then walked over to the Community Center Theater for the show.


Synopsis: (from www.wickedthemusical.co.uk)
"Wicked" tells the incredible untold story of an unlikely but profound friendship between two girls who first meet as sorcery students at Shiz University: the blonde and very popular Glinda and a misunderstood green girl, Elphaba.

Following an encounter with The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, their friendship reaches a crossroads and their lives take very different paths. Glinda's unflinching desire for popularity sees her seduced by power while Elphaba's determination to remain true to herself, and to those around her, will have unexpected and shocking consequences for her future. Their extraordinary adventures in Oz will ultimately see them fulfil their destinies as Glinda The Good and the Wicked Witch of the West.

I absolutely love this story. It tells you how both Glinda and the Wicked Witch of the West became what they were in "The Wizard of Oz". In fact, next to "Phantom of the Opera", this may be one of my favorite musicals. The music is really great - my favorite song was "Defying Gravity". I also really liked "I'm Not That Girl". I had read the book years ago, and I actually think I like how Elphaba is portrayed in the musical a little better. In the book, she truly becomes wicked (rightfully so), while the musical makes her a little more likeable.

If "Wicked" comes to your town, I would definitely recommend getting tickets to see it. It's funny, heartfelt, and a story about true friendship. This was a really great night out and we had the perfect seats. Thanks Chris!

No comments:

Post a Comment