Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Insurance

Well, thanks to the Great Flood of 2009, my home insurance bill almost doubled this year. I called my dude at Farmers Insurance to ask for a little explanation (after all, they couldn't possibly penalize me for something that I had absolutely no control over and that could not have been prevented, right?). He was a super nice guy who started off by telling me that once you file a claim you're 3-4 times more likely to file another one. I get that if, say, you're an insurance scam artist. I don't really see how I had much of a choice, coming home at 10pm to an inch of water throughout my whole house. But I get it... people abuse the system, so we all pay for it.

I moved on to ask him if there was anything else I could do to bring my rate back down (apparently a single claim says on your "record" for 3 years... so my premium would be up for that whole time period). He said I could try switching over my car insurance (which would save at most a couple hundred bucks). Then, followed one of the best conversations I've had in a long time...

Insurance Agent: "Well, I see that you currently have a $500 deductible."

Me: "Yes, I do."

Insurance Agent: "If you were to bring that up to, say, $2,500, you could significantly decrease your yearly premium."

Me: "Well, wait a minute. Didn't you just say that I'm 3-4 times more likely to file a claim now? If that's the case, why the heck would I raise the deductible I have to pay?!"

Insurance Agent: "Well, um... uh, well, that was an, um, a statistic. I wasn't speaking specifically to you."

Yeaaaaahhh... so, needless to say, today I did some insurance shopping. I'm happy to report that AAA (who currently carries my car insurance) was more than happy to pick up a new customer at a similar rate to what I was paying last year. And, I'll get a 10% discount on my car insurance now! I'm super proud of myself for not only standing up to Farmers, but for taking the time to go find even better insurance! Hooray!

No comments:

Post a Comment