Friday, March 4, 2011

Concert Review: Eric Clapton

This year for Christmas, Mike and I got my parents tickets to see Eric Clapton. Feeling a little selfish, I bought tickets for Mike and I to go with them... I've always loved Clapton so I thought it'd be fun to see him with my parents.

His opening act was the band Los Lobos. You may or may not know who they are... if you don't, I'll just say "La Bamba". Yup, that band. They were actually really good... they did a blend of English and Spanish songs and I have to say that their Spanish songs tend to be my favorites.
Los Lobos On Stage
Clapton was absolutely amazing. I found myself completely sucked into watching him play guitar. He could have just stood on stage and played all night without even singing a note. Mom put it perfectly... he plays so well that it's like his guitar sings. He started out with his rock set... lots of the new music with some older songs mixed in. He then followed that with an acoustic set that showcased his guitar, the bass and the drums. Then they came back out and played another rock set.

There was one point during the acoustic set where I leaned over to Mike and commented that I had never heard an arena so quiet during a concert. I meant that in a good way... he was playing the heck out of a song and everyone was just listening. It was absolutely amazing.
Clapton's Stage Set Up
This Man Can PLAY!
Here's a video of "Cocaine" - a classic. We actually heard someone debating the meaning of the song as we were leaving the show... people, I doubt there's much metaphor there:


Here is "Wonderful Tonight" - it's one of my favorite Clapton songs and I think it's really romantic:


This truly was a spectacular show... if you have the chance to get out and see Eric Clapton while he's on tour, I highly recommend it!

No comments:

Post a Comment