Monday, June 19, 2006

Crash!

What a day!

I was on my way to the gym at lunch today when I witnessed a pretty serious car accident. I've never actually seen a car accident happen, and let me tell you, it was pretty shocking. On Friday my friends and I had been driving to lunch and talking about this intersection near work that is particularly nasty - known for "t-bone" accidents because it's right near a freeway overpass and offramp and where you don't expect a light. Anyways, I was in the right left turn lane and there was a lady in the left left turn lane. The light turned green and for some reason our conversation popped into my head and I hesitated. Just long enough to see a guy coming over the overpass. I had started to go and realized he wasn't stopping, so I hit the brakes. He crashed into the lady in the left left turn lane (who was about half way through the intersection) and spun her around into a postal truck. First thoughts through my head - "Oh shit." I parked my car and jumped out to help the lady in the first car. She was in a Mustang that no longer had any wheels and the stuff that was in it was now scattered all over the road. (Adam, you'll be proud of this one...) I told her my name, that I was first aid trained and asked if I could help. She said yes and was complaining that her chest and shoulder hurt. I kept her calm and in the car until the paramedics made it to the scene. To make matters worse the guy in the car that ran the light gets out and says "Did I run the light?" Um... YEAH! I would say he was doing between 50-60 when he hit her and there were no skid marks - he didn't even try to stop! Anyway, everyone seemed ok and the lady was very appreciative that I was there to help her. Now I know I can handle emergency situations! To think that had I not hesitated that extra few seconds I would have been the one he hit... there definitely was a little angel on my shoulder today!!!

As if that wasn't enough, on the way to the gym dad and I pulled up to a red light to make a left turn. Our light turned green and as dad got ready to go some guy blows through the red light. How weird... two in one day! My little angel is working over time!

In other, less dramatic news, my sister is coming tomorrow! I'm so excited!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment