Monday, July 26, 2010

Movie Review: Blood Diamond

I know, I'm like a year behind on this one. Mike and I just joined Netflix, so this was the first movie I rented.

Who knew we still lived in a world like this? What an eye-opening movie! I think Leonardo DiCaprio played an excellent role... he was very believable as Danny Archer, a diamond smuggler who knows the moral rights and wrongs of what he's doing, but chooses to continue smuggling anyway.

It breaks my heart that people forced children to do such amazingly awful things - in this movie they show the child soldiers and what is done to them in order to make them hardened. I think Djimon Hounsou's character Solomon Vandy was absolutely perfect. He is a naively innocent man who is just trying to raise his family when rebels take it all away. His struggle to remain a strong father and do what's right is fantastically portrayed.

One of the best quotes in the movie came when Solomon was riding on the press bus with Maddy Bowen (a reporter embedded in Africa). He is questioning her about the article that she's currently writing:

Solomon: "So when people in your country read it, they will come help, yes?"
Maddy: "Probably not."

This is definitely a movie you should rent if you haven't already seen it.

No comments:

Post a Comment