Friday, October 1, 2010

Brush With The Law

A couple days ago, I had my first run-in with the law. That's right, I got my very first speeding ticket. For those of you keeping count, yes, I said my first speeding ticket in the 12 years that I've been driving. You would have thought that if I was ever going to get pulled over, it would have been in my hot little red sporty car, not the black SUV. You would have thought wrong.

I was coming up highway 49, which, I might note, I thought had a 65 MPH speed limit. I was the last car in a line of cars that were just coming over a little crest. Bam! Cop car. The speed limit was actually 55 MPH (oops) and I was allegedly doing 76 MPH. Thankfully, the nice office wrote me a ticket for 70 MPH to keep the fine down.

The first question lots of people asked me was did I fight it and did I cry. My answer is a resounding no. That's part of what's wrong with our society today... we are unwilling to accept the consequences for our actions. I was caught doing something wrong... why would I argue with the guy doing his job?! And I certainly had no reason to cry... I'm healthy, have a great life and was just driving a little too fast.

The one good thing that has come out of this is that I have discovered my cruise control. I've also realized just how fast I tend to go... which probably isn't a good thing. So I'm working on slowing down, using cruise control and being a little more alert. I know it sounds cheesy... but it's true!

No comments:

Post a Comment