Monday, October 4, 2010

The Thunder Rolls

Ladies and gentlemen, it's officially fall. Thank goodness. I am normally very much a spring/summer kind of girl, but since last year winter was so spectacular, I was sort of left wanting more.

I went to bed early last night (way too much fun and relaxation was had this weekend!) and woke up at about 2am (way too much water before bed!). I looked out our bedroom slider and saw one of the better California thunderstorms that I've ever seen... I laid in bed for about 20 minutes watching and listening to it. About that time, I began to wonder what Shadow was up to... he sleeps downstairs in his crate and hadn't made a peep. In case you didn't know it, the one thing that Shadow most fears on this planet is a good thunderstorm, specifically the lightning. I know, that seems odd, but he really seems to be bothered more by the flashing lights than by the noise (although I'm sure he doesn't love that either, judging by his hatred of motorcycles).

I had closed all of the blinds in his room before he went to bed (good thinking, right?) on the assumption that it would keep most of the flashing out. Apparently it would have been fine except for that one pesky extra loud thunder clap.

Then the real show began.

He barked and barked and barked. I had the fantastic idea that I would go turn on the lights and music in his room, to drown out the noise and lights from the storm... that worked as long as I was curled up in the bed with him. I honestly gave it some thought (this had been going on for about an hour and I was pretty tired), but I realized that while he was falling asleep with the lights and music on, I could not. So, I did what every good dog mom does... tough love. I  put him back in the crate with the music and lights on, covered him up and closed the door.

Then Mike and I laid in bed for the next 1/2 hour listening to Shadow bark. The good news is that the storm passed and eventually everyone fell asleep.

The bad news is that another storm is predicted for tonight... and tomorrow night... and probably a good portion of the winter.

Does anyone have any good suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment