Saturday, April 9, 2011

Animal Rescue Class

Today I took a really cool class through my C.E.R.T. team. The purpose of C.E.R.T. (Community Emergency Response Team) is to expand the footprint of the fire department during a disaster. Our team is also trained to do non-disaster work such as standby medical aid at events.

C.E.R.T. is near and dear to my heart and in my four years as a member, I've volunteered hundreds of hours (no joke!). Today we took it one step further and learned about how to handle animals in a disaster. It was a really great course that taught us all about how to "read" animal behavior in case we encountered them during a disaster situation (for example, while doing search and rescue). While learning about dogs and cats was interesting, I was really happy to learn more about how to handle the livestock (horses, cows, alpacas), sheep, goats and exotics.

I'm so proud to be a part of this program and so excited to see it continue to evolve (this is the first time this animal rescue class has been offered to us). If you're interested in joining a C.E.R.T. team (there are many in the greater Sacramento area), let me know and I'll get you in touch with the right people!

No comments:

Post a Comment