Monday, April 25, 2011

Shadow Learns Yoga

As part of my biofeedback program at Kaiser, the nurse recommended that I try yoga. I promptly told her that I don't bend and that I'm mortified to try to bend in front of other people. She suggested that I get a yoga tape to try in the comfort of my own home. Some of you may remember that once upon a time in college I tried yoga and it ended quite badly (I'm talking to you Dad... do I need to bring up the coffee can?).

But I digress. Today I purchased a video that has two workouts - one for the morning, one for the evening with different focuses (invigorating you in the morning and releasing stress in the evening). Mike was not home, so I decided to give the PM yoga a try.

I actually found it very relaxing. I felt some stretch in some of the poses (read: not entirely comfortable, but I think I'll get there) and I really liked the focusing on my breathing. That's the basis of the whole biofeedback program, so it makes sense that yoga would be a part of it. I think I'll definitely do some more practicing at home before venturing out into the real world yoga classes.

The best part was that apparently Shadow has been feeling some tension lately, so he decided to come over and check out yoga for himself. He started sniffing me and then decided he was going to lay down and focus on his breathing. I almost lost it when the calm voice on the tape said "Now it's time for downward facing dog". Shadow promptly rolled over on his back and moaned.

Seriously, I couldn't make this up...

No comments:

Post a Comment