Friday, January 20, 2012

Rest

I am following the Hal Higdon half marathon and marathon training programs and am discovering something really interesting... the value of rest.

Here's what Hal has to say about it:
Rest: Despite my listing it at the end, rest is an important component of this or any training program. Scientists will tell you that it is during the rest period (the 24 to 72 hours between hard bouts of exercise) that the muscles actually regenerate and get stronger. Coaches also will tell you that you can't run hard unless you are well rested. And it is hard running (such as the long runs) that allows you to improve. If you're constantly fatigued, you will fail to reach your potential. This is why I include two days of rest each week for novice runners. If you need to take more rest days--because of a cold or a late night at the office or a sick child--do so. The secret to success in any training program is consistency, so as long as you are consistent with your training during the full 18 weeks of the program, you can afford--and may benefit from--extra rest.
To be honest, I've never really given rest a whole lot of thought. Sure, on those days that I'm really tired I do, but after some of these shorter runs, I've always wondered why I have to take a rest day. Now I've started trying to pay better attention to my body and I've noticed how much I really savor those days off. I've also started noticing a difference in my runs AFTER the rest days - they feel better, I feel more energized and I am not as tired. The important thing for me to remember is that rest days have to be just that - REST. No cross training, no jogging.

In other running news, I did 8 miles on the treadmill today. Various circumstances led me to this - work, an appointment for new tires and a lot of rain. Trust me, had it not been for the first two, I would have much rather run in the rain.
Too Many Laps
Yes, I did finish the last 10th of a mile. :) I do have to say, as awful as some of that felt (miles 5-6), it feels awesome to be done with it. I have a feeling that's what the marathon is going to feel like. I'm actually really proud of this run... I tend to run at an average of 10:00 per mile when I do my long runs - this one was actually at a 9:15 pace. That is one thing that's nice about the treadmill - you can force yourself to do some pacing. While 45 seconds faster doesn't seem like a lot, that adds up over time - cutting almost 7 minutes off what my normal time for 8 miles would have been!

No comments:

Post a Comment