Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Happy Leap Day!

I did some research into what people who are born on February 29th do to celebrate their birthday for the three years between leap years. Apparently, these people are called "leaplings". Wikipedia says that leaplings celebrate their birthday either on February 28th or March 1st. In the United States, a person legally turns a year older the day before their birthday, therefore a lot of them will choose the 28th instead of the 1st. You learn something new every day.

As it turns out, I don't personally know anyone that was born on February 29th. However, there are some pretty famous people who were born that day: Gioachino Rossini (composed "The Barber of Seville"), Ja Rule, and Antonio Sabato, Jr.

There's also the tradition of marriage proposal. According to folk tradition, a woman may propose to a man on February 29th.
Today has been a pretty mellow day - we had a big storm roll in that was supposed to bring tons of snow. I woke up this morning to rain that changed to snow as I laid in bed and then changed back to rain. So basically all I got was just enough slush to make me slip if I dared to venture outside. So I didn't go outside. See how that works? Fortunately, I had a work from home day planned anyway and stayed hunkered down inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment