Saturday, February 4, 2012

Milestone

Today was a pretty decent milestone for my short running career. I hit the 100 mile mark in my training. It doesn't mean that much, but to me it was one of those mental things that just sounded good to say in my head when I was on the trail.

Kati and I ran our 9 mile long run this morning on the American River Trail. It was absolutely beautiful and we couldn't have asked for better weather. It was a little chilly when we first started running, but warmed up nicely after the first couple miles.

I'm really proud of my sister... today was not only the farthest run she's ever done, but she did the entire thing without walking and at a 10 minute/mile pace. She's going to rock the Shamrock!

In other running news, I've been working on trying different drinks while I run. Apparently for a marathon, plain old water (which I love) just doesn't cut it... you have to get electrolytes and other nutrients back into your system. I'm not a big Gatorade fan as it's super sweet and tends to contain a ton of sugar. My boss recommended Cytomax which is far less sweet and has very little sugar.

I've been taste testing the flavors (they sell little packets that you can mix into a bottle of water. I've tried the cool citrus, tropical fruit and pomegranate berry. Shockingly, my favorite flavor was the cool citrus, which is just a fancy name for lemon lime. I'm definitely not normally a fan of that, but it was very mellow and tasted more like water with lemon than anything. I don't even like my water with lemon in it, so that's saying a lot. I think I'm going to take the plunge and buy the bulk pack!

No comments:

Post a Comment