Friday, March 9, 2012

Staycation Days 5, 6, & 7

On Wednesday I did some work in the garden. I've been wanting to plant cherry trees, specifically Bing cherries for the last couple years and missed the boat on bare root. I was stoked that our local nursery had both Bing and Tartan cherries - two more trees for Blankenheim Orchards! I also did some planting around the rocks that Mike used to build our waterfall. I didn't take pictures because it's really very much a work in progress - I'm testing to see if these couple types of ground cover are actually "deer resistant".

On Thursday, we headed over to Fitzpatrick Winery & Lodge for an evening's stay. Some of you may recall that we attended a crab feed a few weeks ago and entered a raffle - this was the prize that we won.

Our stay was absolutely fantastic - it was so nice to get away for a night and to completely chill out. We arrived around 7pm and were told there was only one other couple staying and that they were out to dinner, so we had the lodge to ourselves. Diana, one of the owners, checked us in and offered us wine for tasting - saying there were 4 bottles open that should couldn't pour the next day, so help ourselves to our "one" complementary glass. We hung out by the fire drinking wine for most of the evening.
Mike In The Great Room
Yay For Wine!
We really enjoyed their 30th Anniversary Zinfandel (we bought a case!) and their Merlot was very mellow.

We stayed in the "Irish Room", which was super cute. They had a great window seat that had a beautiful view of the valley and some of their grapes:
View Of The Valley
The bed and easy chair - we loved the color of the walls too - we're thinking of re-doing our bedroom at home!
Clearly I Need A New Camera...

The View From Our Private Deck
We're thinking of going back in the summer - they have a massive wood burning pizza oven and they do Friday pizza nights! This morning we woke up and were served breakfast - I had a potato and onion frittata and Mike had an omelet. It was absolutely fantastic - we definitely recommend this place to anyone coming up to our area!

Today I had the chance to do a ride along with my awesome brother in law, Tim. It was a really cool experience (my prior EMT training had been in the ER so that I got to see a wider variety of stuff). It was my first time doing a code 3 (lights and sirens) in an ambulance! I actually learned a lot - lately I've realized that it's really good to step back and watch other people work - there are lots of little tips and tricks to pick up on!

I've got a bit of a headache now, so we're catching up on "Idol" and then I'm headed to bed. Tomorrow I've got EMT class and then Sunday is the half marathon - I'm so excited to run with Kati for her first half!

No comments:

Post a Comment