Saturday, April 28, 2012

The Critters of Clinton Road: The Story of My 18 Mile Run

Today was a day that for some reason was sort of stuck in my head... 18 miles sounded like so far. I woke up before my alarm (5:45am) ready to run. I parked at the gym and did a loop through downtown Jackson, then headed out to Clinton Road, a long, hilly road.

I love this road - it's beautiful, through the country and just makes me feel good about running. About four miles into the run, I came across three baby cows who seriously looked like they were there to cheer me on. I had to stop and get a picture because they were so darned cute!
The Three Musketeers
A little farther down the road, I found this little cow. I was trying to get a picture of her looking at me because she had really cute eyes. Then I noticed who was hanging out in the background... the dreaded turkey. I swear, those suckers are stalking me.
Sweet Cow, Scary Turkey
Then I just ran for a while. The weather was absolutely beautiful. I hit one of the big hills around mile 10 and owned it. On the way back, I saw these really pretty horses:
Horses!
One day, I will own a horse. I swear it.

I started to feel tired around miles 14-15, took a Gu and felt better. It definitely wasn't easy, but today was one of the first times that I actually felt that the marathon was within reach. I had it in my head that 18 miles was really hard, and once I was able to do it, it makes me feel like I can do anything!
Sweaty!
The final stats: 18 miles, 3 hours and 5 minutes, 1400 feet of elevation gain.

No comments:

Post a Comment