Saturday, April 8, 2006

Sweet Tea in My Veins

Hey y'all!

Ok, I can't stop drinking sweet tea! That stuff is amazing! I wish that all of our fast food places (McDonalds, etc) had it like they do here! MUCH better than soda! Although, according to Kati, they wean babies straight from the bottle to a can of Coke - so that's kinda big down here!

Now I'm sitting in Kati's living room, watching "Sweet Home Alabama" and listening to the Georgia rain fall outside. It's so beautiful! We've had a thunder storm roll through (Atlanta had tornados and power outages!) but all we've had is rain and thunder and lightning. It's awesome!

Well, here's the week in recap (pictures to follow when I get home):

Sunday: Arrival and Drive to Savannah
I arrived in Atlanta Sunday afternoon and Kati and I took off from there to head down to Savannah. The drive was absolutely beautiful! All of the high ways here are lined with amazing trees and beautiful flowers! I can't even imagine what it would be like in spring and summer when everything is blooming! We got to Savannah fairly late and went out to dinner at Molly McPherson Scottish Tavern - definitely yummy food!

Monday: First Day in Savannah
We spent Monday in Savannah. We started by taking the trolley tour - they drove us all through the city for an hour and a half and gave us the history of all of the old houses and buildings. After the trolley tour Kati and I wandered through the city and took tons of pictures. We went to River Street, home of the original River Street Sweets. We got to sample some yummy candy! We also had dinner at a great little cafe called Hueys - it was authentic New Orleans style cooking - I had a muffaleta and red beans and rice. YUM!

Tuesday: Second Day in Savannah and Drive to Athens
We left Savannah Tuesday morning and headed out to Tybee light house - my first glimpse of the Atlantic Ocean! We played on the beach and took some pictures of the light house. Then we drove up to the Hay House, which is a historic mansion up in Macon. I was beautiful home that was seven stories tall and had been beautifully restored! We drove back up to Athens and relaxed the rest of the evening.

Wednesday: Visit to Atlanta and Gretchen Wilson Concert
Kati and I went to Atlanta for the day - we went shopping at the Great Mall of Georgia. I even successfully found pants! Kati always helps me have a great shopping trip! It's a great mall with lotsa stores! Wednesday night we went to the Gretchen Wilson concert. Holy cow... it was so amazing! Blaine Nelson and Van Zant opened for her and both of them were great. Gretchen Wilson totally stole the show. She sang every song exactly how she sang them on the CDs and she sang every style of music (country, rock and roll, blues, jazz, blue grass, etc). The funniest part about the show was when we left - they were playing Hank Williams Jr. and as people were walking outm they were ALL singing along! It was hilarious! This had to rank as one of the top concerts that I've seen (and we only paid $20 for our tickets!).

Thursday: Shopping in Athens and Relaxing
We spent Thursday morning shopping in Athens. We went to the Cracker Barrel for breakfast (YUMMY hash brown casserole and sausage patties) and then out to the stores in Athens. We relaxed in the afternoon and laid out in the sun to read and relax. We watched "Derailed" and "Red Eye" and just hung out all night. Woo hoo!

Friday: Downtown Athens and Ballroom Dancing
We spent the morning walking through downtown Athens and visiting UGA. What a beautiful campus! The frat/sorority row is actually a bunch of old mansions that each of the frats/sororities actually live in! I can't believe it! The dorms are these beautiful old colonial style buildings. I can't believe people actually live there! So, since the bull dog is the official school mascot, they have these bull dog statues all over down town Athens that are decorated and painted in different colors. I took lots of pictures!!! Friday afternoon we laid out in the sun, read and napped. Friday night we went to Kati's ball room dance event. The first hour was a fox trot lesson and then the rest of the time was dancing. It was so much fun! I salsaed (?), fox trotted, tangoed and waltzed! It was awesome! I'm nowhere near as good as Kati (she's absolutely AMAZING!), but it was a lot of fun!

Saturday: Relaxing!
Today we're just hanging out, watching movies and relaxing. I love it and I'm sad I have to go home tomorrow! We were supposed to hike today, but because of the rain that's been called off. It's just really nice to sit here and listen to the rain!

Well, that's about it for now. I promise to post pictures (and email the rest to whoever's interested) as soon as I get home! I'm finally starting to feel better (having had any cold medicine since last night at about 6pm!) and actually worked out the other day! 9 miles of biking towards my triathlon training! Well, that's about all from here.... more when I get home!

No comments:

Post a Comment