Monday, December 27, 2010

Migraines: The Diagnosis

Well faithful blog readers, hopefully you won't have to read about my horrible headaches anymore. For the last long time I've thought they were caused by sinus issues since I have such horrible allergies. I finally convinced my doctor to send me back to the allergist, who asked me several key questions today. Here's what I learned:
  1. Apparently, it is not normal to have headaches that make you nauseous.
  2. Normal headaches should not make you sensitive to light and sound.
  3. Normal headaches don't make you go to bed to sleep it off.
Apparently, one of the "side effects" of a migraine is a stuffy nose and what feels like sinus pressure. Basically, I've been treating the side effects, not the main issue!

So, I've been given a prescription that should help when I get one of the headaches and then enrolled in on of Kaiser's classes. It's a women's migraines class taught by a neurologist where they review the different triggers for migraines and what you can to do prevent them from happening. I am actually really excited... I'd love to find out what's causing these and what I can do to make them stop! I'm cautiously optimistic! I go this Wednesday, so think some happy thoughts for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment