Thursday, August 4, 2011

A Nature Experiment

I have begun an experiment, right in my own back yard.

Here's where it all began - we're starting to buy stuff for our wedding and needed the freezer in the garage. The whole purpose of that freezer was to store the squid that Charlie and Mike caught in their quest to see a great white shark.

I had to somehow dispose of the squid to make room for 120 pounds of tritip. There were a couple options:
  1. Throw it in the garbage can. My garbage man comes on Friday and this was Monday night... I don't think I could live with the smell of defrosting squid.
  2. Roll it down the hill. But then the smelly, defrosting squid would be a little too close to my house for comfort.
  3. Schlep the smelly, defrosting squid down to the game camera for some (hopefully) instant entertainment.
Obviously, I chose option number 3. Of course, I'm trying to do this discreetly, but the easiest path to our game camera involves crossing our neighbor's land. And (of course) he happened to be standing there as I hauled what I can only imagine looked like a dead boy across his land. So, I had to explain myself (quickly because that sucker smelled!) and his eyes lit up. I'm not the only one excited about this...

Mike and I are going to head down Saturday or Sunday to check out the footage... and to find out if mountain lions eat seafood. I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment