Sunday, July 31, 2011

Movie Review: The King's Speech

When I created this tag (the "movie review" one, that is), my intention was for it to be a review of new movies that were out in the theater. The problem with that is that as I get older, the less I really feel like going to the movies... in fact, after my last experience with 3D, I much prefer the comfort of my sofa!

That said, my movie reviews now tend to be of movies that are either out on pay per view or Netflix. Yesterday we finally got around to watching "The King's Speech", starring Colin Firth and Geoffrey Rush.

Director: Tom Hooper

Main Actors: Colin Firth, Geoffrey Rush, Helena Bonham Carter

Synopsis: (from IMDb) Tells the story of the man who became King George VI, the father of Queen Elizabeth II. After his brother abdicates, George ('Bertie') reluctantly assumes the throne. Plagued by a dreaded stammer and considered unfit to be king, Bertie engages the help of an unorthodox speech therapist named Lionel Logue. Through a set of unexpected techniques, and as a result of an unlikely friendship, Bertie is able to find his voice and boldly lead the country through war.

Rating: I would definitely recommend this movie to everyone. For me, it had a little bit of a slow start, but in the end, you can't help but feel for King George VI and fall in love with Lionel. There was definitely a reason why this movie won four Oscars (Best Achievement in Directing, Best Motion Picture of the Year, Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role, and Best Writing, Screenplay Written Directly for the Screen).

No comments:

Post a Comment