Friday, July 22, 2011

It Was Bound To Happen

"And one night it did". Sorry, lame Garth Brooks reference. No, I'm not talking about Papa driving a truck into a hotel, I'm talking about falling off my bike. I decided yesterday afternoon to take my bike out for a little spin close to home. We've got some great hills to climb (and I've got a big hill in the Alp d'Huez to climb next year) and I figured that since it was my first solo ride, I'd be able to walk home if something went terribly wrong.

I was aiming to do two loops (there's a solid climb in there) but it was really hot out (90+ degrees). On my way back up the first loop, I started to get really hot and thought I'd pull over to take a little rest. Apparently unclipping while heading uphill is much harder than it sounds. I pretty much came to a very slow stop and then VERY slowly started tipping over. In fact, I even had time to think "yup, this is the first fall" before I hit the ground. Again, very low speed, so all it really did was scrape up my elbow and scratch the left side of my bike a little. Badge of honor, right? I did manage to land on my keys, which got all scraped up and tore a little hole in my jersey. Maybe now that everything is a little banged up and doesn't looks so new, people will think I am a real cyclist!

The one good part of the whole experience was there was not a soul around to see me bite it. I'm told that many people do this at a busy intersection or parking lot, so I guess I'm lucky there. I made myself get back on and keep riding just so that I didn't end up with a mental block.

In other fun and exciting news, I mailed our wedding invitations today! I can't believe it but three months from today is the big day! It seems like there's so much to do between now and then!

No comments:

Post a Comment