Saturday, July 9, 2011

My New Scarf & TDF Update

Ok, cycling friends, if you haven't watched today's Tour de France coverage, you might want to skip this post until you're caught up. Translation: spoiler alert. I'll discuss my cool new scarf first so that you can make the decision to close the browser if you want.

My mama made me an amazing new scarf that she brought with her yesterday:
My Beachy Summer Scarf
I love the colors - it totally reminds me of the beach and is neutral enough to go with just about everything... I can't wait to wear it!

Now on to the TDF news. I'm so, so, so bummed that Chris Horner is out of the Tour. Earlier this year Mike and I saw him blaze up Sierra Road in the Amgen Tour of California (a race he went on to win) and he's been one of my favorite riders ever since. He gives some of the most awkward TV interviews not because he doesn't know what he's talking about, but because he starts talking super technical race strategy. I love listening to him because he's just really passionate and energetic.

Yesterday he was a victim of one of the big crashes that ended up taking out another top contender. The cameras were all focused on the other guy and the announcers had said something along the lines of Horner being involved and that he was up and back on the bike. He finished the race (VERY far behind) and was whisked off to the hospital. Today was saw video of him being put on the stretcher and asking "Did I finish?". Talk about a whack to the head! As it turns out, he broke his nose, banged up his legs and has a concussion. You have to hand it to an athlete who finishes a race but is so out of it that he doesn't know he did it!

No comments:

Post a Comment