Sunday, January 23, 2011

Glorious Sunday

Today has been one of the best days in a long time! I think part of it is because I am finally feeling better. I've had a little bit of a residual cough and overall feeling of yuckiness since I was sick a couple weeks ago.

This morning, I woke up (for no good reason) at 6am. While that would really bother a  lot of people, for me it's a sign that I'm finally feeling better. It's not typical for me to sleep much past 7am (yes, even on the weekends) and so if I find I'm dragging when I get out of bed it either means I'm getting sick or I've worn myself down.

I sat for a little while after I woke up and tried to decide what I wanted to do with my day. There have been several things I've been meaning to do, but haven't because I've just been busy and there are several things that I just plain wanted to do. So, I got myself together and set out to get my errands done.

First up, church. I admit, over the last couple years, I've really slacked on the church thing. I'm not really sure why, but I think it was mostly being busy and,  (I know) being lazy. I started back towards the beginning of December and was on a roll... until the black plague hit my house. For the last few weeks I've just been too darned sick to go anywhere. Our parish got a new pastor at the New Year and I hadn't met him yet. His name is Father Liam and, you guessed it, he's Irish. I can listen to someone with an accent talk forever!

After church, I decided to stop by the gym (it's strategically placed directly between my church and my house). Another thing that went by the wayside when I was sick was the exercising. Mike and I went running near our house on Friday and it almost killed us both... we literally both coughed for like 2 hours afterwards. I decided to give the treadmill a try, with much better results. I got a solid 2 miles in!

After the gym I decided to finish all of my away from home chores by hitting the grocery store. I'm also on a kick to try to eat a little healthier. I do pretty well, but I need to try to curb the snacking. I've spent the last couple nights trying to convince my brain that strawberries taste exactly like chocolate (as my dessert). I bought a ton of fruits and veggies today that I'm going to make an effort to pack in my lunches this week!

Finally, when I got home, I planted two trees. Of the three apple trees we planted last year, one died - my lone granny smith tree. For those of you who don't cook/bake, that's the apple that you need for things like pies and strudels. They're tart, which makes them perfect for cooking. I had a really hard time finding them anywhere and was told by a local nursery to keep an eye out in January when all of the bare root stuff came out. Lo and behold, I happened to stick my head into Lowe's the other day and I snagged the last two granny smiths. Now they're planted (and caged - we've got deer that would love some fresh apple trees).

All of this (plus a shower) was done by noon! Not a bad morning. The good part of that was that it left the rest of my Sunday to rest! I did some reading on my Kindle (I love it!) and took a really short nap. Now I'm watching football with Mike and we just had some delicious cheese sticks (I said I'm trying to eat healthier... but I'm not cutting everything out!). The rest of today will consist of more reading, more football and some baked ziti tonight.

Not a bad Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment