Friday, January 14, 2011

Things I Love: Breville Espresso Machine

For my birthday last year, my parents bought me an espresso machine so I could start making my own white chocolate mochas at home. Not only has it been fun to play around with, but it saves me a little money (I love me some Starbucks, but holy cow, they're expensive!). Over the last year, I've gotten pretty good at making them (at least to my taste) and can even tell the difference between mine and Starbucks.

Well, a couple months ago, I noticed that when I was steaming the milk, it started putting out less steam and more stream of water. Definitely not what it's supposed to do, so I emailed the Breville customer service people. They were very helpful and gave me a couple solutions to try at home. They worked for a while, but then the machine went right back to spitting out water instead of steam. The customer service people told me they would hook me up with a new machine and sent me the stuff to send back my old one.

Here's the most amazing part. The machine I had was the 800ESXL, which is about a $180 machine. It's high quality, works well, but doesn't necessarily have all of the bells and whistles that the higher up machines do. Here's what it looked like:

Which is why I was completely surprised when Mike opened the box of my replacement unit. Rather than sending me a straight replacement of my old unit, they sent me the mid-range machine that costs $499!
This one has pre-programmed shots (a single shot and a double shot) as well as the ability to over ride that. It also separates the water spot from the steam spout. It comes with four different filters, depending on your level of espresso brewing expertise! Talk about excellent customer service! So far, I've totally loved the new machine (who wouldn't?!) and am incredibly happy with the level of service I received! It was so nice to work with people who were pleasant, willing to offer solutions and would stand  by their products when they were unable to fix them!

No comments:

Post a Comment