Thursday, November 24, 2011

The Legend of Hullabaloo

As always, we gathered at Adam and Eva's house this year for the annual Hullabaloo. For those of you unfamiliar with the traditions surrounding Hullabaloo, let me fill you in on the "Legend of Hullabaloo". You see, we've gone there for years on Thanksgiving. One year, someone mentioned that due to the large quantities of food we consumed, their dressy clothing had become uncomfortable. It was then mentioned that it might be more comfortable if we all wore comfortable clothes the next year, such as pajamas.

Ever the competitive family, we decided to include prizes for the best pajamas that people could find, as voted on by the other Hullabaloo attendees. My most fantastic pair was the red footie pajamas from several years ago. While extremely hot, they nosed me ahead to win the prize. Keep in mind that we live two and a half hours away from the Bay Area, so we end up driving in our pjs. This morning I pumped gas at Safeway in them. We're a bold people. This year, Aunt Sandi won the contest - amazing since she has not attended before and jumped right in with this adorable ensemble:
Aunt Sandi's Prize Winning Pajamas
Adam and Eva have added a few more games as well. They normally have some sort of jar filled with candy that we have to guess the number of pieces (the winner gets the jar). We also play a great game before dinner... there are several words (this year's were Thanksgiving, turkey, bird, delicious, yummy and love) that you can't say. Each person is given a bunch of clothespins and if you catch someone saying one of the forbidden words, you get to take one of their clothespins. The person with the most when we sit down to eat wins. Kati or Jared win this one every year - this year it was Kati.

The food was absolutely amazing as always. Adam brined the turkey and it was deliciously juicy (notice I'm using all the forbidden words - they're all pent up). It's a fine art, and this man has mastered it:
The Turkeymaster
Oma was feeling a little out of sorts today, so she didn't join us at Adam and Eva's... instead, we headed over to her place on the way home. She looks wonderful as ever!
Kati, Oma & I - Thanksgiving 2011
There are more pictures at my Facebook page - head on over to check them out!

I did want to take a moment to reflect on the things that I'm really thankful for this year. First of all, my fantastic husband. I'm so thankful that he met me at the alter and said yes! We've had a wonderful first month of marriage and I can't wait for more!

Secondly, my family. They're the best. Ever. Nothing more needs to be said.

Thirdly, my friends. The help, love and support we got from our friends leading up to our wedding was absolutely amazing. I could not ask for a better group of people to be standing by my side.

Finally, my dog. He really is the best dog we could ask for.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment