Thursday, October 20, 2005

Stupid People - Motorcycle Riders

Here's the first edition of "stupid people". I tend to be running across them more and more lately, so I thought I'd call them out.

For our first edition, I'd like to discuss motorcylists. I know you may think that you're the best driver in the world, or that you're going too slow to get hurt. Well guess what, you still can get hurt.

Today I was the passenger in a car on the way back from lunch. We were driving down a road that has two lanes on each side. There was an SUV in front of us and in the lane next to us, so we couldn't really see too far ahead. All of the sudden, there are plastic parts flying everywhere. We all slam on the brakes and come to a stop. Up ahead is a motorcycle laying completely on the ground, smashed to pieces. The rider gets up and is stumbling around, looking pretty dazed. We're not sure if he hit someone, or they hit him, but he was the one that ended up on the ground. Very stupidly, he was wearing shorts and a t-shirt and was missing much of the skin on both of his forearms - like he threw his hands out in front of him to stop himself while flying through the air, only to slide across the concrete on his arms. His legs were all cut up and he had a major limp.

Now, I don't know about you, but that doesn't seem like all that much fun. In fact, I can think of a lot of other things I would like to do besides sliding across concrete on my face. I think the guy was ok (I talked to him to ask if he wanted me to call 911 and he pointed at the 10 other people who were calling on their phones and said "I think they've got it"), but he could have very easily gone under the wheels of one of the cars driving behind him.

So, if you're out there riding a motorcycle because you think you're cool, heed my advice. I saw an accident today that looked very ugly and could have been MUCH uglier. It's not worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment