Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Happy Fat Tuesday!

Hi all! Happy Fat Tuesday! I hope you're getting all of your partying out of your systems before we head into Lent tomorrow... fun times! I really partied it up... I drank a whole glass of wine with dinner. Watch out, I'm a rebel! :)

Seriously, though, I am really amazed at the spirit of rebirth in New Orleans. I was looking at pictures of Mardi Gras and am completely amazed how the people who have seen such devastation over the last six months still find a reason to rejoice.

CNN had some really great Mardi Gras pictures. I'm not sure if you all remember, but one of the famous pictures of the aftermath was a man who had boarded up his store to try to keep looters out. On the outside of the white wood he wrote: "Don't try. I am sleeping inside with a big dog, and ugly woman, two shotguns and a hammer." That cracked me up at the time, but what's even better is the statement written later: "9/4/05. Still here. Woman left Fri. Cooking a pot of dog gumbo." lol - that's the spirit of life - you can always find something to laugh about and we all know laughter is the best medicine! Honestly, I don't know how the people of New Orleans do it! It just really amazes me to see people who lost everything celebrating and continuing on with tradition in the face of total devastation. Absolutely amazing.

Hope y'all had a great Fat Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment