Sunday, September 11, 2011

Ten Years Later

Never Forget. 9/11/01
I honestly can't believe it's been ten years since the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001. It seems like just yesterday I was storming out of my bedroom, angry because the phone was ringing so early in the morning only to see a stricken look on my college roommate's face. The phone call was from relatives from back East, calling to tell her they were ok but that something had gone horribly wrong. We spent the rest of that Tuesday in front of the TV; horrified by what we were seeing. The thought of going to class never even crossed our minds.
Twin Towers Burning
There are only a few events in my life that I can look back on and remember with crystal clarity where I was, what I was thinking and how I felt. The 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake was probably the first real disaster that impacted my life. September 11 is also one of those events. As Alan Jackson put it, "Where Were You (When The World Stopped Turning)"? That's really what it did feel like for a while - like life was going to stop.

I think the September 11th attacks were so scary to me because they were unlike anything I'd ever known before... the 1989 earthquake was Mother Nature doing all the damage and destruction. This was real people hurting other real people. It's still very hard for me to believe that that kind of evil exists, but it does.

So much has happened in the last 10 years. That college roommate is now married and has a beautiful baby girl. I moved back to Northern California, got a new job, fell in love, bought a house and got engaged. I even picked up my EMT certification. I often wonder if 9/11 in some way inspired me to join the CERT program and to become an EMT. While it wasn't first and foremost on my mind, I do have to say that I continue to be inspired every day by the brave responders on that day. Not just those who died, but those who travelled from all over the country, just to do what they do. The image of three firefighters raising the flag at Ground Zero (reminiscent of the flag raising at Iwo Jima) is haunting to me.

Finally, I want to wish my parents a fantastic 35th wedding anniversary. While I think it's so important to never forget the tragic events of September 11, 2001, plenty of other wonderful and amazing things happened on that day. We shouldn't forget, but we also can't dwell forever and life goes on. Mom and Dad, I hope you guys have a wonderful anniversary today - here's to 35 more!
Happy Anniversary Mom & Dad!

No comments:

Post a Comment