Saturday, March 18, 2006

The Great Crash of 2006

Let's talk about drama! Today Kristen and I were all set to go on a bike ride along the river as part of our triathlon training. As we were getting out of our cars I was joking about how I look like a dork in a helmet, but that I always wear it, because it would be just my luck to be the person that gets smashed up without one. Then, as we start riding towards the trail, Kristen mentions that we should both learn how to fix a tire, because if one blew, neither of us would know how to fix it. We continued along with our ride. Not two minutes into it, I hear this loud pop and the next thing I know I'm flying (in slow motion) over the front of my handle bars. I landed on the ground and just laid there for a minute, collecting my thoughts. Then I tasted blood, so I reached up to make sure that my teeth were still in (after so many years in braces I would have been pissed if I went and knocked my damn teeth out!). As it turns out, the metal frame that holds the actual tire and tube completely buckled. I'll be making a phone call to the manufacturers this weekend (or more likely Monday). When I flew over the front I landed on my chin and hands. I'm pretty beat up and as the day has gone on I've become a little more sore. What at first felt like just a knot on my thigh turns out to be where I landed on the handlebars.

Injury list:
  • Fat lip with a big gash on the inside
  • Raspberry on the chin
  • Handle bar bruise on my thigh
  • Bruise on my hip
  • Cut up hands
  • Road rash
(I'm having problems posting the rest of the pictures - Blogger is having server downtime. I'll post the rest tomorrow morning!)

Thank God that Kristen was there, that we both had our cell phones and that I had a helmet on. Fortunately I'm ok and didn't hit my head (besides my chin). I have a feeling that tomorrow morning is going to suck and that I'll bruise a little more before I get better, but it definitely could have been a much more serious accident!

In other news, Saint Patrick's Day was a blast! I went out with the gang to Red Robin (yeah for green beer) and then to see "Failure to Launch" (see movie review section). We had a lot of fun and it was great to spend some time with friends!

Tonight I went over to Michelle's husband's birthday party. We had a lot of fun (I actually tried lumpia and LIKED it!). It was great to meet her family and see all of their friends!

On that note, I'm off to read a little and then go to bed

Today's Triathlon Training:
Biking: 300 yards

No comments:

Post a Comment