Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Sinus Infection Part Deux

Gosh darn it. Just when I think all is well and I'm finally feeling great I go and get a sore throat. Which promptly turns into a sinus infection. Yippee for me. I swear, I should have been a doctor - I'm getting great at diagnosing these. The good news is that my doctor took pity on me and gave me free antibiotics (round 4 in the last two months). Hopefully this thing is gone before I go to Georgia!

Speaking of becoming a doctor, I am taking CPR/First Aid at my local Red Cross. I'm leading the emergency response team at work and they needed someone to get trained now. So, of course, who volunteered? :) The first half was Monday night and the second half will be Wednesday. There are so many new and cool things since the last time I took the class (in high school!). I must say though, I wouldn't want some of the people that were in my class saving me. Here are some examples:

  1. The Rib Cracker: His name is David and he's an alcohol and drug counselor. He looks like he's been through his own program a couple times (LOADS of tattoos, scruffy hair, weird beard, constant smoke smell) and you should have seen the number he did on the CPR dummy. First off, he only did half the amount of compressions he should have done (75-90 per minute) and he definitely compressed the chest a little more than 2 inches.
  2. The Confused One: Can't remember her name, but that's probably because she was too confused to write it on her name tag. She proceeded to ask the instructor to repeat himself a thousand times and then kept asking (as in multiple times) if she needed to pinch the nostrils shut.
  3. The Confused One's Husband: Also didn't wear a name tag. Spent the entire time yelling at the Confused One. Spent so much time yelling at her that he couldn't even figure out how to roll her on her side once it came to the rescue position.
Anyways, I give them all credit for being there and learning. If you don't already know how, I strongly recommend everyone learn CPR. The average time for an ambulance to arrive is 10 minutes. An adult will be brain dead without oxygen in 6 minutes. Do the math.
Well, time for bed. Hopefully I'll wake up tomorrow and this sore throat will be gone! Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment