Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Bread and Birds

I know you've all been waiting on pins and needles for the "Things That Worry Me" edition, but, sadly, I have to place it on hold. Much more pressing things have come up.

First, let's discuss bread. Last night, in a bout of domestic delirium, I decided to make bread. I thought it would be fun and would give me something to eat for lunch today. Now, most people would dump the ingredients into a bread machine and two hours later have bread. Not me. I prefer manual labor. So I'm kneading. And kneading. And kneading. And sweating. A lot. Finally, I have "firm, yet elastic" dough. I place it in a plastic bowl, cover it with a towel and place it in the oven. Mind you, the oven is off. The recipe book specifically says to put it in there, with a bowl of hot water underneath. So into the OFF oven it goes, with the little bowl of hot water. Tim and I then trek to Mervyns in search of cute clothes (which we did find... and surprisingly, I was a good shopper... what can I say, he brings out the best in me).

Then comes the panicked phone call from my roommate. She had gone to the gym to work out and when she got back, she turned the oven on to preheat for her dinner. Plastic bowls, not oven safe. Towels, not oven safe. The water was fine. We got back from Mervyns and by then I thought the whole thing was funny. She felt so bad... offering to pay for the bowl and apologizing. I just laughed and poked at the dough. It felt like bread. I can at least take comfort in the fact that my dough turned out ok.

The icing on the cake... Tim's comment. As my roomie was offering to pay Tim said something along the lines of "At least it wasn't a pen in the dryer." Probably the funniest thing all night! :)

Now, on to the birds. I peek in the nest yesterday to see mama bird (Thelma) tossing cotton out of the nest. I thought nothing of it, maybe that Brad was trying to decorate again. Later, when I walked back by, I noticed a second egg. We have two!!! And this time, they're actually sitting on them! In fact, if Thelma is in there when you walk by she spreads her wings and crouches down like she's going to attack. Good mama.

No comments:

Post a Comment