Wednesday, March 30, 2005

The Finch Chronicles: Independence Day

Today's song of the day is quite fitting. Today is Independence Day for sweet Louise. Last night, Kati and I made the trek to Petco (ok, so more of a joy ride and less of a trek) in search of a cage for Louise. Without getting overly graphic (I'm trying to keep The Finch Chronicles PG rated), Louise was in physical trouble after being plucked way too much. I couldn't bring myself to take her back (I would look like such a horrible owner!), so I needed to get her little bird body away from the others.

Now, I'm not sure if you've ever tried to catch a finch, but let me tell you, it's a very humbling experience. The problem with the little critters is that they freak out. The minute I stuck my hand in the cage, Thelma and Brad began dive bombing me in attempt to save their nest. They are also super fast. As in will fly around your apartment for 45 minutes until you can corner them, not that that's ever happened to me... After about 5 minutes of dive bombing, I remembered that they don't fly in the dark. So I haul the cage into the bathroom and close the door. Thirty seconds later I had little Louise in my hand. I plop her into her new home and put her cage in the corner of my room (I wanted somewhere quiet where she won't be bothered).

At this point, all of the birds were sitting quietly in their cage, looking stunned. Then the crying began. Not from Brad and Thelma, but from Louise. I thought she was missing them, but when I walked into the room, I was shocked. She was flitting around the cage, swinging on her swing and eating. I think she was teasing them. This morning I got up and she had taken a bath. She's loving it! Eventually, I'll probably get a little boy to go with her since finches tend to be communal animals. But for now, I want her to heal up and have some rest.

I'll keep you posted.

Below is a picture of Louise in her new home.

No comments:

Post a Comment